Pumpkin Pie and Spiced Rum Pairing for Fall
We started our Fall Food and Spirits Pairing series with an appetizer (Autumn blinis + vodka) and main course (cider pork chops with rich autumn vegetables + gin) so it’s time for our next course – dessert!
What is more autumnal than pumpkin? Spice it up with some dark rum – both in your glass and on your plate!
Dessert: Pumpkin pie with rum chocolate sauce paired with spiced rum
- 1 can pureed pumpkin
- 1 can condensed milk
- 2 eggs
- 100g chocolate
- 80ml double cream
- 1 oz. dark spiced rum
- ½ oz. water
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ginger
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp brown sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 saucepan, half full of boiled water
- Vanilla ice cream (to serve)
- Preheat your oven.
- Whisk the pumpkin, condensed milk, sugar, eggs, spices and salt together.
- Press the pastry into a pie dish.
- Pour the pumpkin mix into the unbaked crust. Bake it all for15 minutes. At 420 F
- Reduce oven to 350 F and bake for 40 minutes. From 25 minutes, check 7 minutes with a knife – if it comes out clean, it is ready. Let it cool while you make the sauce
- Break the bar of chocolate up and place it a glass bowl. Add the water, and rest the bowl on top of a saucepan of boiled water. Turn the stove on, and boil the saucepan of water, stirring the chocolate and water as it melts.
- Stir the rum into the chocolate once it has melted.
- Add the cream to the chocolate, stirring it in.
- Once the chocolate mix is smooth, turn the heat off.
- Serve the pie, and pour the chocolate sauce over it.
- Top with vanilla ice cream, and serve.
Serve spiced rum at room temperature, in a cognac glass or mixed with cola.
In case you missed the rest of our series, be sure to check out our full Fall menu:
Looking for a Curated Alcohol Subscription Box?
Taster’s Club is the Premiere online shop for anyone looking for a curated Liquor of the Month Club or a one-off bottle purchase from our Bottle Shop.Join the Club