Summer Cocktail Recipes
It’s Summertime, and we all know that what you want most right now is a cool cocktail to get the evening going, and chill you out after a long day. But, what to make? This season’s flavors are bold. 2018 is donning its summer colors, and we have five cocktail recipes to liven up those long evenings and impress your guests!
Nothing says summer breeze like refreshing, herbaceous scents and a cool, icy drink. This twist on a Gin Collins uses vodka and elderflower cordial, to make a cooling refresher in the summer heat. Add edible flowers to the garnish for a bit of glamor.
SUMMER VODKA COLLINS
- 50ml Vodka
- 30ml Lemon Juice
- 20ml Elderflower Cordial
- Lemon peel
- Lime peel
- Soda Water
1. Shake the vodka, lemon juice and elderflower cordial with ice
2. Strain into a large glass full of ice
3. Top up with soda water
4. Garnish with lemon and lime peel
BOLD AND BEAUTIFUL
Summer 2018 is all about strong flavors, strong colors, and strong drinks. But, what do you go for if you no longer fancy the usual Margarita or Espresso Martini? We’ve found you the best of both worlds! This calls for tequila, caffeine and ice cream – a brilliant combination. You can substitute the ice cream for syrup if you like your coffee black.
TEQUILA ICED COFFEE
- 20ml Tequila (reposado is best)
- 20ml Coffee liqueur
- 1 cup Strong black coffee (chilled)
- ½ cup Melted vanilla ice cream (or, 1 tsp vanilla syrup)
1. Shake the coffee, spirits and syrup (if you are using it) with ice
2. Pour into a glass and stir in the melted ice cream
3. Serve it short or over ice
Though we have not abandoned our sweet tooth, sugar is losing popularity amongst mixologists across the country. Why? Because there are so many alternatives available which don’t risk ‘bottom-of-the-mojito’ grittiness! Agave, honey, maple and cinnamon are flavors to look out for – and they are no longer tied to tequila and rum.
Try this adaptation of a classic which was originally invented by sailors to keep the scurvy away. Rim with salt for an extra twist.
- 40ml Gin
- 20ml Lime juice
- 10ml Agave nectar
- 8 Mint or basil leaves
- Lime wheel
1. Muddle the ice and leaves in a shaker
2. Add the agave, lime juice and gin, and shake
3. Strain the drink into a martini glass
4. Garnish with a lime wheel
SAVORY AND SPICY
Not into the sweet stuff? Worry not! There are more flavors out there, and savory and spicy cocktails are rising in popularity. Black pepper, chili and ginger are all ones to watch – and you can now practice at home!
This Creole is a hearty alternative to the Bloody Mary, and reminiscent of barbecues on the beach…
- 45ml Light rum
- 1 tsp. Lemon juice
- 1 dash Hot sauce (smoked or unsmoked)
- 60ml Beef bouillon (cooled)
- 1 tsp. Black pepper
- Small chili pepper
1. Shake all the ingredients (except the chili pepper) with ice
2. Strain into a stout glass full of ice
3. Garnish with the small chili – either in slices or on the rim of the glass
FUN AND FRUITY
Where would the world be without summer fruits? Everyone loves a strawberry daiquiri, but other flavors gaining popularity are pomegranate, cranberry and citrus.
You can use sugar cubes instead of syrup (one for one) to achieve a more classic look.
POMEGRANATE OLD FASHIONED
1. Muddle the lemon, pomegranate seeds, grenadine, bitters and sugar in a glass
2. Add the ice and the lemon juice
3. Pour bourbon into the glass
4. Top up with soda or ginger ale, or equal parts of both (to taste)
5. Garnish with the cherry
Let us know what you like best!